Engineering is the creative application of science, mathematical methods, and empirical evidence to the innovation, design, construction, operation and maintenance of structures, machines, materials, devices, systems, processes, and organizations. The discipline of engineering encompasses a broad range of more specialized fields of engineering, each with a more specific emphasis on particular areas of applied mathematics, applied science, and types of application. If you are engineering student So, here is a list of Top 5 Engineering Colleges in Mumbai.
Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute
Veermata Jijabai Technological Institute (VJTI) is an engineering college located in Mumbai, Maharashtra, India, and one of the oldest engineering colleges in Asia. Founded in 1887 and formerly known as the Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute, it adopted its present name on January 26, 1997. VJTI is an academically and administratively autonomous institute, however it is affiliated to the University of Mumbai and its degrees and diplomas are issued by the university. The institute is financially supported by the Government of Maharashtra.
|Victoria Jubilee Technical Institute, Sir J. J. School of Mechanical Engineering & Ripon Textile School|
|Type||Government-aided autonomous engineering and technological institute|
|Director||Prof. Dhiren R. Patel|
|Location||Matunga, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
16 acres (65,000 m2)
- VJTI rated ‘AAAA’ by Careers360 as the Top Engineering College of India 2016
- VJTI has been ranked as the 20th best college for engineering by India Today magazine, 2016
- Admissions for undergraduate degree courses are based on the scores in the MHT-CET as well as JEE-Mains.
The admission process is carried out separately by Directorate of Technical Education along with 5 other autonomous institutes in Maharashtra. Respective admission rounds are known as CAPAI (Centralized Admission Process to Autonomous Institutes).
- Admissions for undergraduate diploma courses are based on scores in the Class 10 Board Examination.
- M.C.A. admissions are based on the scores in the MCA-CET.
- Admissions for postgraduate engineering courses are through GATE or sponsorship.
The institute has 12 academic departments. Of these, nine offer certificate, diploma, degree, postgraduate and/or doctoral programs. These are:
- Civil & Environmental Engineering Department
- Structural Engineering Department
- Computer Engineering & Information Technology Department
- Master in Computer Applications (MCA) Department
- Electrical Engineering Department (Also offers programs in Electronics Engineering & Electronics & Telecommunication Engineering)
- Mechanical Engineering Department
- Production Engineering Department
- Textile Manufactures Department
- Technical & Applied Chemistry Department
Three academic departments have supporting roles and conduct foundation courses for degree and diploma programs, but do not offer any programs of their own. These are:
- Mathematics Department
- Humanities & Management Depart
- Physics Department
- Humanities & Management Department
Sardar Patel College of Engineering
Sardar Patel College of Engineering (SPCE) is an government-aided autonomous engineering college located in Mumbai, India. It is affiliated to the University of Mumbai and offers undergraduate (Bachelor) and graduate (Master) degrees in engineering. It is one of the few Mumbai University affiliated colleges that have received Grade ’A’ rating from the Government of Maharashtra.[ The college is supported by government funds, and was granted autonomous status by the UGC in June 2010.
- Department Of Civil Engineering
- Department Of Structural Engineering
- Department Of Mechanical Engineering
- Department Of Electrical Engineering
The college offers full-time courses in civil, mechanical and electrical engineering. Recently,] the college has been granted permission to conduct PhD course in civil and mechanical engineering. Courses offered include:
- Bachelor of Technology (Civil)
- Bachelor of Technology (Mechanical)
- Bachelor of Technology (Electrical)
- Master of Technology (Civil) Construction Management
- Master of Technology (Mechanical) Thermal Engineering
- Master of Technology (Mechanical) Machine Design
- Master of Technology (Electrical) Power Electronics & Power Systems
The college was ranked 25th in a 2016 survey of Indian engineering institutes conducted by i3 Research Consultants and published by The Times Group.
Hostel Facility is available and the institute is presently trying to cope with the need to accommodate the increasing number of female students. The hostel intake is currently about 36 students per branch. Around 350 students stay in the boys’ hostel.
K. J. Somaiya College of Engineering
- The K. J. Somaiya College of Engineering, abbreviated as KJSCE, was established in 1983 at Somaiya Vidyavihar. It offers 4 year degree courses in the departments of Electronics Engineering, Electronics and Telecommunications Engineering, Computer Engineering, Information Technology and Mechanical Engineering. KJSCE is Autonomous college affiliated to the University of Mumbai.
The K. J. Somaiya College of Engineering, abbreviated as KJSCE, was established in 1983 at Somaiya Vidyavihar.Address: Vidyanagar, Vidya Vihar East, Vidyavihar, Mumbai, Maharashtra 400077Founded: 1985Affiliation: University of Mumbai WikipediaPhone: 022 6644 9191Number of students: 2,700Undergraduate tuition and fees: 1.62 lakhs INR (2017)
K.J. Somaiya College of Engineering is located at Vidyavihar – a term meaning the home of knowledge. It is estimated that the total campus is about 65 acres. It is recognized by the All India Council for Technical Education, Government of India. The Vidyavihar station on the central Railway line of Mumbai was also instantiated by one of its founders, for the benefits of the thousands of students pursuing varying programs in the campus. Besides the Engineering College, Vidyavihar campus also has a Science and Arts College, a Secondary School, a Management Institute (K. J. Somaiya Institute of Management Studies and Research), a Polytechnic Institute, and a Commerce College. Besides the campus at Vidyavihar Somaiya also has its Medical College-Hospital.
Principal Dr. Shubha Pandit Vice Principal – I A. S. Thosar Vice Principal – II Nandkumar R. Gilke
Academic Program Dr. Ramesh G. Karandikar Research & Development Dr. Kashinath Patil Resource & Infrastructure Management N. S. Chandrashekhar Students’ Affairs S. A. Hanumante
Dwarkadas J. Sanghvi College of Engineering
Dwarkadas J. Sanghvi College of Engineering
The college has an intake of 600 students in eight branches for Bachelor of Engineering. The admission are done on Merit basis , and there’s a separate list for Gujarati linguistics minority which have slightly lower cut off marks. The admission are done by DTE( Directorate of technology education,Maharashtra),this process is online.The unoccupied seats are then used for diploma students and for counciling rounds (offline admission).
- Chemical Engineering: 60 seats
- Electronics Engineering: 60 seats
- Production Engineering: 60 seats
- Biomedical Engineering: 30 seats
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering: 120 seats
- Information Technology: 60 seats
- Computer Engineering: 120 seats
- Mechanical Engineering: 120 seats
In addition to this ;maximum 15 diploma students are admitted per class every year during the second year of the bachelor’s degree in Chemical, Electronics, Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering, Computer Science and Information Technology. Around five diploma students are added in the remaining branches.
The college has Masters programs in the following branches:-
- Mechanical Engineering : 18 seats
- Computer Engineering : 18 seats
- Electronics and Telecommunication Engineering : 18 seats
St. Francis Institute of Technology
St. Francis Institute of Technology (SFIT) in Mumbai, India is an engineering college named after Francis of Assisi, the 12th-century Italian saint. The college is accredited by the National Board of Accreditation, approved by the AICTE and is affiliated to University of Mumbai.
The college is run by the Society of Franciscan brothers, with a special consideration to Roman Catholic students. It offers undergraduate, post-graduate and doctoral courses in Engineering. It is the first Catholic technical institute in India to acquire Minority Status.
|Principal||Dr. Sincy George|
|Campus||Urban, 5 acres|
Each department listed below offers courses in their respective disciplines towards a BE degree.
- B. E. (Electronics And Telecommunication)
- B. E. (Computer Engineering)
- B. E. (Information Technology)
Each department listed below offers courses in their respective disciplines towards a ME degree.
- M. E. (Computer Engineering)
- M. E. (Electronics and Telecommunication Engg)
Ph.D(Technology) Degree courses
Each department listed below offers courses in their respective disciplines towards a PhD degree.
- Ph.D (Computer Engineering)
- Ph.D (Electronics and Telecommunication Engg)
The SFIT campus is in IC Colony, Borivali, spread over 5 acres (20,000 m2) of land in the western suburbs of Mumbai. It has a ample of open saces as well as lush greenery. The institute has open access library, gymkhana with a table tennis room, carrom room and a chess room. There are facilities for outdoor games like throwball, football, basketball, volleyball and badminton.
The SFIT B-wing is currently under-construction to the East of current building(A-wing).