Smriti Mandhana – The Nation’s Crush: “Cricket“, when the name comes everybody starts imaging about the great players of our Indian cricket team like Kapil Dev, Sachin Tendulkar, Virat Kohli etc. Cricket is like religion for Indians.
Everyone here likes to watch matches then be it any Cricket match. But when it comes to Women’s Cricket no one is that interested, but today the Indian women cricket team is also in the limelight because of the immense and awesome performance of the team. We are here discussing a player who is said to be the Nation’s Crush and has taken immense efforts to reach this stage, her name is Smriti Mandhana.
Smriti Mandhana is an Indian cricketer who plays for Indian women’s national team. She is named as the Best Women’s International Cricketer by India’s Board of Control for Cricket for season 2017-18. She is a left-hand batsman and a right arm medium pace bowler.
Smriti Mandhana comes from Madhavnagar, Sangli, in Maharashtra. She belongs to a family of Cricketers. Her father Mr. Shrinivas and brother Shravan play Cricket at the district level in Sangli. Inspired by there playing Smriti decided to play cricket and make a career in it. She was selected in Maharashtra’s under 15 team and at the age of 11, she was selected for Maharashtra’s under 19 team.
She came into the limelight when she became the first woman to achieve a double hundred in a one day game. Smriti scored an unbeaten 224 off 150 balls in the West zone under 19 tournament against Gujarat in 2013.
Mandhana made her test debut in August 2014 against England and helped her team win the match. Later in 2016, in Women’s Challenger Trophy, Smriti scored three half-centuries. With 192 runs she emerged as tournament’s top-scorer. In the second ODI game, Smriti Mandhana scored her maiden international hundred.
She was the only Indian player to be named in ICC women’s team of the year 2016. Smriti Mandhana along with Harmanpreet Kaur became one of the first two Indians to be signed for women’s Big Bash League. She was the part of the Indian team to reach the final of the 2017 Women’s cricket world cup. In March 2018 she scored the fastest fifty for India in a Women’s twenty-20 international.
A couple of months ago she also becomes the first Indian to play in KIA Super League T20 series in England. Smriti Mandhana has done a lot in the recent Kia super league. She scored a century and also scored joint fastest T20 fifty in just 18 deliveries. She is phenomenal in that series and Indian fans are hoping that she will repeat the same performance in upcoming women’s T20 cricket world cup.
Mandhana Scored whopping 421 runs in just 9 innings with an average of 60.14 and a staggering strike rate of 174.69 which is highest among all players so far. She also hits 45 boundaries and 21 sixes
Quick Important and Interesting Facts about Smriti Mandhana
- At the age of 9, she was selected in the U-15 team of Maharashtra.
- At the age of 11, she was selected in the U-19 team of Maharashtra.
- Smriti became the first Indian player to score a double hundred when she scored 224 in 15o balls against Gujrat in October 2103
- After this, in the Women’s Challenger Trophy in the year 2016, Mandhana had scored 3 half-centuries for India Red, which included a winning knock of 62 runs in the final match.
- She made her international debut in T20 cricket against Bangladesh on 5 April 2013.
- She made his International ODI debut against Bangladesh on 10 April 2013.
- Mandhana played his first Test match against England on August 13, 2014, at Vermesley Park. She scored 22 and 51 in two innings and helps India win the test match.
- Smriti was selected for ICC Women’s Team of the year in 2016 and she was only Indian in that team.
- Mandhana got the chance to play for Brisbane Heat in the Women’s Big Bash League in 2016 and becomes only the second Indian player after Harmanpreet Kaur to play in this league.
- Smriti also awarded the ‘ICC Player of the Year’ title in 2016.
- Mandhana is the first Indian player to join any club in England’s Women’s T20 League when she signed for Western Storms.
- Recently She Scored joint Fastest T20 Fifty in recent KIA Super League series in just 18 balls.
By achieving this success Smriti Mandhana has set an example in front of all those who are trying to excel in their careers. She has proved that if you want to achieve success there is no other way but practice and hard work.
Mithali Raj The Legend Of Women’s Cricket
Cricket World Cup 2019: 5 strongest contenders to win the world cup
Cricket World Cup 2019: Schedule, Format, Venues
70 Cricket Facts every Cricket Lover Should Know!